[c-nsp] rate limiting multicast

Mikael Carlander rip at kth.se
Thu Mar 17 04:13:08 EST 2005

Thank you for responding!
Your answers clears thing up for me a great deal!

The short answer to your question about my claim is no. In hindsight I can
see that I expressed myself poorly, it was not meant as a claim, merely as
an observation of mine after trying to read up on the subject. The very
few ISP's I have spoken to so far (3) have mentioned utilising rate
limiting for multicast, but have not been forthcoming about how.
I’ve been focusing on attacks that are indiscriminately scanning IP
addresses and the effects that it has on the routing process, especially
in conjunction with other types of attacks that aim to exhaust the RP.
So I'm not primarily interested in rate limiting as a method of congestion
controll, or in order to stop UDP from pushing out TCP, but rather in
order to spare the RP.
By rate limiting in fixed numbers, multiple different types of attacks can
be used in order to overwhelm the RP. Instead I was hoping to find a way
of rate limiting by percentage of CPU-utilisation,
buffer-memory-utilisation or similar.

Again, thanks!

/Micke