[c-nsp] pvst and mst

Andrew Metcalf andrew.metcalf at natnet.com
Thu Mar 17 09:19:20 EST 2005

I am running a mix of MST and PVST on one network without problems (+40
switches). The roots for both protocols should be setup to be the same
switch, that's probably the most important thing I've noticed so far.
However, I might revert back to rapid pvst because I miss the flexibilty
having a one-to-one spanning tree to Vlan mapping built in. I do have a bug
where the 2950s I have stop responding to management traffic if there is a
mis-match between the number of VLANs that it is running and the number that
is on it's trunked uplinks, but I can't remember if that is MST related, I'd
have to dig the bug ID up. VTP or strict change control "fixes" that anyway.
I have the possibilty of having to use many many VLANs in the future, which
is why I decided to go with MST for now.

As for migrating, I don't know of a really slick way because I did it as I
was migrating OS revs anyway, but once you migrate one switch as the root
(like I said the same as the PVST root switch preferably), you should be
able to migrate the rest of the switches one at a time. MST is very quick,
so you're only talking about a few seconds of outage. My root switch
accomidates the existing PVST switches with no problem, but making the
change on that root switch should be the biggest headache.

Anyone have advice for adding a new MST Instance on a production network
sanely?

Andrew