[c-nsp] pvst and mst

Matt Buford matt at overloaded.net
Thu Mar 17 16:35:24 EST 2005

Although this works for a migration, I wouldn't recommend this as a
long-term solution.

A big catch is that when a non-edge port changes state, spanning tree on all
ports on the same VLAN (or all VLANs if trunked) on the same switch are
reset.  For your RPVST neighbors, reconvergence is quick and it is no big
deal.  For your PVST neighbors, you get a nice big outage.

We had a 6500 with trunked RPVST backbone links, a number of servers, and a
PVST link down to a couple old legacy 3500XL's that can not speak RPVST.
Every time someone rebooted one of the servers, the link to our old PVST
switches would reset spanning tree, giving us a nice 30-45 second outage.
Setting all server ports to portfast/edge avoids the issue for the server
ports, however if one of our RPVST backbone links flaps the PVST ports still
take a hit.

According to Cisco, this is not a bug, but is the normal behavior.