[c-nsp] Dead 1721 router ... not even rommon

Crooks, Samuel scrooks at aristocrat-inc.com
Fri Mar 18 18:15:11 EST 2005

My coworker killed one of our 1721 routers.  He did something in the
following processing, and now when the router boots, when you press the
enter key, you get a triangle with a 2 superscript, instead of some sort
of prompt.

I had worked out a config file, and he was supposed to boot the router,
plug into console and ethernet, configure the fa0 int for dhcp, then
tftp the config to startup-config, and tftp a new IOS image to flash: .
he said he did this, although, I am thinking he maybe tftp'd the IOS
image to startup-config or something weird.

I have tried using CTRL-BREAK during boot to get to rommon, but don't
seem to get anywhere.  I also tried several different baud rate
settings, as it looks like a serial setting mismatch, to no avail.  I
verified my terminal settings were correct.

I get NO boot messages at all during the bootup process.

Any ideas?

Sam Crooks