[c-nsp] per user ACL's, 802.1x and multicast

Paul Culmsee Paul.Culmsee at pivod.com
Tue Mar 22 05:26:01 EST 2005

Hi

(lets assume 3550 for now, but reeally, this question applies to any switch)

I was asked today whether there was a manageable method to control access to multicast traffic at the network level.  Reading the 802.1x config guide on the 3350 model..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801a6b34.html#1072494

it seems that per user ACL's may be the way..

But in my case, I need to explicitly deny certain multicast addresses from being accessible on the entire network unless the correct user has been authorised. So I am wondering..

If I put a static ACL on layer 2 ports denying a particular multicast address range, and then a per user ACL permits it via Radius, will the per user ACL override the static ACL or simply append to it?

This was simply a theoretical question I was asked so I don't want to spend countless hours tooling with it. But does anybody have any suggestions on whether the above would work or whether there are more elegent solutions?

thanks

Paul