[c-nsp] Dual Analog Modem

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 23 10:42:51 EST 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:24:06AM -0500, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Is there anyway (within reasonable cost) to deploy dual-analog dial-up
> bonded connections with Cisco gear?

Leased line, or dialup?  I assume "dialup".

I don't have a full overview over the Cisco product line, but one approach
might be to get a 1601+WIC-1T = 2 serial ports that can both go async RS232,
and hook up two external modems (USR Courier or similar).

Definitely ugly.

Isn't there a modem WIC?  Hmm, yes, there are: WIC-1AM and WIC-2AM - WIC
cards with 1 or 2 analog modems.

------ snip --------
Background Information

The WAN interface cards -1AM and -2AM (WIC-1AM and WIC-2AM) provide
one or two internal V.90 analog modems. These WICs can be used for
incoming or outgoing analog modem calls. The WIC-2AM features dual
RJ-11 connectors, while the WIC-1AM uses one port for connection
to a standard telephone line, and the other port to connect to a
basic analog telephone for use when the modem is idle.

doesn't work in the 1600, though - you need a 1700 or 2600.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de