[c-nsp] Cisco MultiLink PPP

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Mar 24 06:33:42 EST 2005

Lawrence Wong <> wrote on Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:16 AM:

> I am thinking of combining 2 x T1 (1.5Mbps) into a
> larger pipe of 3Mbps for greater capacity via MLPPP.
>
> I would like to check if MLPPP is supported on all
> Cisco platforms with Serial interface or is it only
> supported on selected platforms.

It is supported on all low- to mid-end routers up to and including 7500,
check the release notes and/or feature navigator for higher-end as well
as hardware-based platforms

> Under MLPPP, will traffic be distributed amongst both
> links (i.e. I can download at max of 4Mbps) or am I
> limited to the max of each link (i.e. I can download
> at max of 2Mbps).

A single session can use up to 4Mbps. MLPPP will distribute the packets
over both links making sure to preserve the packet sequence.

> How processor intensive is MLPPP?

In halfway recent code it is CEF switched and 2x2Mbps should be a
non-issue.. You can optimize by disabling fragmentation, but it should
not be needed to do this.

> Are there any caveats to look out for?

you want to make sure the delay over both links is somewhat equal.
Otherwise MLPPP could run out of buffers trying to reassemble fragments
or preserving the packet order.

	oli