[c-nsp] Cisco MultiLink PPP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Mar 26 04:58:43 EST 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 11:40:00PM -0800, Lawrence Wong wrote:
> Any idea how many E1 MLPPP is supported on the 2621? I
> don't think I will grow beyond 2 channels but if I
> need to replace the 2514, it would be on the safe side
> to cater for 3-4 E1 MLPPP just in case (would a 3620
> be good enough?) .

Stay away from the 3620.  It's incredibly noisy, quite slow, needs much
space in the rack (1RU, but very 'deep'), can't take useful amounts of
memory, has no onboard LAN ports, and is end-of-life.

A 2621XM would be a good choice (faster, more memory, and less footprint
than the 3620).

> I am thinking of using the VWIC-2MFT-G703 module on
> the 2621 to connect the individual links instead of
> getting external v.35 convertors. Anyone has
> experience with it?

We've equipped a 2611 with 2 VWIC-2MFT-E1 and run 4x E1 on it (not with
MPPP, though) and it just worked.  Can't say what the peak CPU load was
exactly, but it was never on "worrisome" levels.

The 2621 is faster, so it should do 4x E1 MPPP.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de