[c-nsp] OT - system failure notifications

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Sat Mar 26 10:58:47 EST 2005

Hi all,

What are you all doing by way of failure notifications to a cell phone or
pager? We're an ISP and although we could easily use SMS to notify ourselves
of system failures, we would prefer to utilize a system which is as
independent from our network infrastructure as possible (i.e. SMS depends on
our connection to the Internet and our mail server functioning properly).

Our monitoring software currently sends out an alphanumeric page via a modem
which connects to Verizon and alerts our pagers upon detecting a system
failure. This works fine. However, we would prefer to replace our pagers
with cell phones. The issue we are facing is that cell phone providers seem
to be discontinuing their modem-based pager networks in favor of
Internet-based SMS. So it seems like modem-based paging and cell phones just
don't seem to go together.

Any ideas? Maybe there's some other solution I'm not thinking of....

Adam

---
[This e-mail was scanned for viruses by Webjogger's AntiVirus Protection System]