[c-nsp] OT - system failure notifications

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Sat Mar 26 11:23:47 EST 2005

Well, both Cell One and Verizon told us it was a no-go. We didn't try Nextel
yet. As far as I have found out, providers like Cell One and Verizon used to
use the TAP protocol but are moving away from it.

Here's an excerpt from http://www.avtech.com/Support/TAP/TapNumbersA.htm as
well:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Many paging service providers are planning to discontinue
allowing dialup text messaging due to the cost of maintaining large data
centers with thousands of modems. Large vendors like AT&T, Cingular, SkyTel,
and T-Mobile have already stopped. This service will typically be replaced
by SNPP (Simple Network Paging Protocol) which sends text to your mobile
device over the network/internet. The advantage of SNPP is that it is
virtually instantaneous and requires only a network connection (no modem, no
phone line, no email server). SNPP is faster, more secure and costs less.
Ask your service provider about SNPP for your mobile phone, pager or PDA and
know that AVTECH Software's PageR Enterprise software is already enabled for
SNPP.

--A