[c-nsp] OT - system failure notifications

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 13:03:38 EST 2005

On 26/03/2005 15:58, Adam Greene wrote:

>What are you all doing by way of failure notifications to a cell phone or
>pager? We're an ISP and although we could easily use SMS to notify ourselves
>of system failures, we would prefer to utilize a system which is as
>independent from our network infrastructure as possible (i.e. SMS depends on
>our connection to the Internet and our mail server functioning properly).

If you have a mobile phone signal in your data centre, the usual way is
to get a GSM modem or similar device hooked up to the serial port of
your monitoring server, so it can send an SMS. However, this doesn't
help if commercial power is out as some mobile base stations might not
have much/any battery backup.

Although it's possible to use gnokii with a mobile phone to do the same,
most phones write to the SIM card every time they send an SMS, and a SIM
card being flash memory has a finite number of read/write cycles before
it dies.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time