[c-nsp] cisco 675 and 678

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Tue Mar 29 13:30:40 EST 2005

>>> "Voll, Scott" <Scott.Voll at wesd.org> 3/29/05 11:10:41 AM >>>
>What's the difference between a 675 and a 678?  Which would DSL
>providers suggest?

The 675 is CAP only, while the 678 can run either CAP software or DMT
software (but not both at the same time.)

I would advise you to stay away from both of them, however. I really
can't stand them. They can be a pain to configure depending on your
requirements. In our case, we used them for a private DSL network and we
weren't using any of the default settings. It was difficult to figure
out how to make them work in our environment. I threw a party the day we
got rid of them. :)

If you want a simple DMT-capable Cisco DSL router, go with the SOHO 97.
It runs IOS so it's easy to configure, and I haven't had a single
problem with them.

Regards,
John