[c-nsp] c7206VXR(NPE-G1) w/ 12.2(18)S8 - Memory failures

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Mar 31 09:37:57 EST 2005

I can tell you up front that the developers are very
aware of memory resource issues and try extremely hard to use
as little as possible.  I can see how from the outside it
may look like it's some ploy to force upgrades. I can tell
you that is not true.

As for the 12.2(25)S changes that came out where some
infrastructure changes were made to the CEF code it ended
up resulting in more memory usage than the previous changes.

Work was done to bring the memory usage back to the order
it was before those changes were put in. Now it's a matter
of getting those images in the field.

In a perfect world it would have been nice if the first release
out the door would have been on par with the prior release in this
area but it wasn't.

I asked about this specific issue of when this code would be
available on CCO that brings the memory usage per prefix back
down and the target date is the fall of this year.

This doesn't account for more and more features though.
Memory usage by those is unavoidable.

I checked a 12.0(27)S3 vs. a 12.2(25)S3 image for the 75xx
yesterday and the decompressed memory usage was around 4M.

Rodney