[c-nsp] Cisco CRS-1 vs Juniper M320

tin.nguyen at sasktel.sk.ca tin.nguyen at sasktel.sk.ca
Thu Mar 31 18:25:31 EST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005,Caren Litvanyi wrote:
>> I don't think the M320 would be the right platform to compare to a
CRS-1.
>> Juniper's closest match to it would probably be the TX Matrix, based on
>> the T640 platform.
>>
>I think it is valid to compare the half-rack, 8-slot CRS to either a
>single T640 or M320, though of course the T640 is the closest.  Both
>the T640 and the CRS 8-slot version have 8 40G slots in a 19" half rack.
>If you want to compare to an M320 which is a bit more apples-to-pears,
>there are of course packaging/size, power, and 20G/slot vs. 40G/slot
>to consider, as well as current availability of lower-speed interfaces
>(which may not matter to someone looking for a core IP/MPLS router).
>You don't have to be seeking a multi-chassis monster to consider a CRS.

Precisely as Caren said, I am looking at the 8-slot CRS-1 with mostly GigE,
OC3 interfaces to start with, adding 10GE or OC192 next year. With this, I
think it is comparable to the M320.

Tin

NOTICE:  This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended
recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that
disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is
strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify
the sender.