[c-nsp] MPLS Migration over 7204VXR

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Wed May 4 13:18:24 EDT 2005

r.sahney wrote:
| Hi All,
|
|         I currently have 2 7204VXR with NPE-G1 with single  PA-8T-V.35
| . running 2 IP Lease circuits on 1 and 1 Lease Circuit on other with
| G5485 SX connectors for ethernet, running 12.3(3b).
|
| We will be migrating to MPLS shortly, Since I m not an expert with the
| migration phase , I would apprecaite a help with any of the following
| -

Converting in what sense?  Are you switching from private line T1's between
sites to MPLS/VPN?

| 1 What are the options available with me to connect to the service
| provider via MPLS ?

Connection in what sense?  Physical?  Link layer?  Routing protocol?

Will the connection be provider-managed CE or self-managed?

| 2 Will this require any kind of hardware change ? If so what can be my
options ?

Probably not, but depends on what your provider is offering.

| 3 Any white papers or docs that could explain this transition or any
| practical guidelines to migrate  this network over mpls  ?

Nit, but you're probably not migrating this network to run over MPLS I'd
guess.  You are switching to using an MPLS/VPN service.  When folks say
they are "converting to MPLS", I take that to mean they are replacing their
IP network core with an MPLS network core which I don't get the sense you
are doing.

I don't know of any generic papers since how you connect will be dictated
by the manner in which the provider offers the service.  Your router may be
ethernet connected to their managed CE device or you may have one or more
T1's into their PE device(s).  You may run a routing protocol to exchange
routes or it could be statically routed.  Lots of possibilities.

| 4 Any technical limitations that you might be aware of  ?

What particularly are you concerned about?  Depending on the implementation
by the provider, their ability to provide you redundancy (if you need it)
can be a concern.  QOS through the provider network is also something that
you may/may not need or be concerned about.

|  Just for the info. i have gained a basic understanding of mpls over
| last few days and well aware with concepts of vpn, TE , Qos etc. but
| right now my objective is to look at commercialy and technically
| scalable migration.

The thing about MPLS/VPN is that the complexity of the implementation is
hidden from the end user.  The provider manages all the details and from
the CE point of view, they are simply IP connected to the provider and
possibly exchanging routes via BGP or an IGP.  That's one reason it's an
attractive alternative to self-managed private connections.

- --
=========
bep