[c-nsp] IOS 12.4 and NAT

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu May 5 05:23:45 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 10:34:27AM +0200, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> >what's "NVI enhancement"?  Any pointers?
>
> While the US sleeps:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/
> 123newft/123t/123t_14/gtnatvi.htm

Ah, thanks.  So finally Cisco has fallen to market pressure "the way
you do it is much too complicated, we need a simple on/off switch"
(which computer magazines really love to do - "Cisco: bad marks, too
complicated, no wizard" - quite unfortunately so).

I'm sort of sorry to see that happen.  The old way to do it is
incredibly powerful, and after getting used to it, certainly more than
appropriate - and having yet another way that basically does the same
thing in a different way means "more code, more flash+ram, more bugs"
(as people seem to be observing).

The benefits listed ("A NAT table is maintained per interface for better
performance and scalability.") isn't something I buy - that's an internal
optimization, not something that needs to show up in the config mode.

gert

--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * RIPE 50 @ Stockholm *