[c-nsp] 7206 Restarting

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat May 7 17:12:44 EDT 2005

Hi Dave,

  We do a couple DS3's and FE in a 7206 non-VXR, similar setup with DSL
although we do more bridged than you do.

  I have never found any image post 12.1 to be stable with DSL on a
7206.  I believe the issue is the memory utilization of the newer code is
higher.  I suspect that it's been years since Cisco's IOS programmers
have had to develop on a plain 7206.  They are almost certainly doing all
development on 7206vxr's with double the amount of memory, and only
actually test on an older 7206 w/ 128MB of ram as part of the final
testing.

  12.2 IOS seems OK if the 7206 isn't doing much work, such as if it's
just routing between a few FEs and serial interfaces.

  I would recommend if you absolutely must run 12.2 or 12.3 that you
buy a 7206VXR.  Otherwise, try to stay on 12.1 if your just using
a plain 7206.

Ted