[c-nsp] Recommendations for 10GBase-Capable switch

Alexander Koch efraim at clues.de
Mon May 9 03:38:19 EDT 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005 23:35:40 -0700, Dan Lockwood wrote:
> I don't think that it is non-brilliant at all.  I would
> suggest that if you (universal you) are getting 7-8Gb of
> actual billing at an access/aggregation point, then you
> need to be looking at some platform other than a 3750. ;)
> The 3750 is a low end metro access switch which Cisco
> intended to be cost effective, and have medium performance
> and high features; thereby delivering high value to the
> SP.

Two paragraphs of mine, two different points. I 'grew up'
finding one limitation after the other with Cisco (sorry),
so I was wondering what other implications were ahead of us.
3508 are the best example, but I can cite you others easily,
even with recent architectures.

But then, putting a 10G link on a box with some copper crap
(sorry again) is utterly beyond understanding to me. I could
add a 12 SFP one to the stack, I know. I can throw money in
to fix everything, I just don't want to, but they want it?

While I see your point clearly, I meant my two to be seperate,
adding to the total mess or so. Excuse me for not being more
clear.

Alexander