[c-nsp] More Parity Errors on a 7513

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Mon May 9 11:56:40 EDT 2005

So, last week it looked like cosmic rays but Cisco sent me a new RSP4
just in case. The 'new' RSP has been stable since I installed it over
the weekend, but there is an interesting problem now. I had to reload
the RSP two or three times during the installation (IOS and BOOTLDR
issues) and each time I noticed that the "show version" output indicated
that the router last reloaded due to a processor parity error instead of
indicating that I had manually reloaded the box. Even now, after
manually reloading the box probably three times total, here's what I'm
seeing:

System returned to ROM by processor memory parity error at PC
0x6030C51C, address 0x0 at 02:22:24 mountai Sun May 8 2005

This is making me worry a little bit. Did I replace one "bad" RSP with
another one that might be worse? Or, is this likely a symptom of other
problems?

This 7513 is in a climate-controlled data center so the temps look
good, and we've also looked for evidence of zinc whiskers but we found
none. The power supply output is within normal range but I guess that
doesn't mean that the power coming from them is clean.

This is the second card I've replaced in three months that was having
parity errors, and the first one had multiple errors spread out over a
couple of months. I don't think it's likely that we're being bombarded
with cosmic rays all of a sudden. Could all of this be a sign of a
chassis going bad?

I've updated my TAC case and I'm awaiting a response, but I thought I'd
get some opinions from the list, as well.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
John