[c-nsp] More Parity Errors on a 7513

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Mon May 9 13:51:14 EDT 2005

> This is making me worry a little bit. Did I replace one "bad" RSP with
> another one that might be worse? Or, is this likely a symptom of other
> problems?

Do you have a spare chassis you can trade out and test with?

> This 7513 is in a climate-controlled data center so the temps look
> good, and we've also looked for evidence of zinc whiskers but we found
> none. The power supply output is within normal range but I guess that
> doesn't mean that the power coming from them is clean.

Might be worth checking to see if there is dust buildup in the unit
obstructing airflow to only some blades in the chassis. I saw this once in
a 7507 where bits of filter had gotten stuck in some vent holes in the
chassis and caused excessively high temperatures in some places. It was
easy to clean out once discovered.

> This is the second card I've replaced in three months that was having
> parity errors, and the first one had multiple errors spread out over a
> couple of months. I don't think it's likely that we're being bombarded
> with cosmic rays all of a sudden. Could all of this be a sign of a
> chassis going bad?

Seems strange unless you have a bad backplane connector, but I'm not sure
if that would result in parity errors -- I would expect more "drastic"
problems. Best would probably be to trade out the suspect hardware into a
known-good spare chassis and see if the problem moves or stays with the
original "problem" chassis.

     -Bill