[c-nsp] L2/L3 configuration question

Tim Winders twinders at southplainscollege.edu
Tue May 10 08:54:18 EDT 2005

> > I do not need to pass VLANs between the two switches.  I
> > would like to assign the 3508G an IP address so it can be
> > managed.  What is the best configuration setup for this
> > scenario to simply route between the two 6509/Sup720s?
> >
> > What is the 3508G was replaced with a 3550?  Would that
> > change the configuration?
> >

> In this case you could just assign a /29 to the interface,
> and assign an IP
> address to VLAN1 of the switch from the /29, and number both
> the router
> interfaces out of the /29.
>
> You'd also want to assign a default route to the switch with 'ip
> default-gateway' pointing to one of the 6509s (or both, with an HSRP
> address) probably so that you could access it from further
> afield than the
> 6509s directly. If these routers/switches are public also be
> careful with
> telnet access-classes on the VTY and such for security.

Thanks, Chris.

I considered this simple setup, but I was told that one should never pass
"real" traffic through the management VLAN1.  Is that really not the case?

I am not running HSRP.  The two 6509/Sup720s are in two different cities.  I
was unable to get dark fiber between the two locations, so the switch in the
middle is sitting in the CO where I am given a GigE connection going out to
each of my pieces of equipment.  It's a long, stupid political reason.  No
technical reason why I was unable to connect the two switches directly
together.

---

Tim Winders
Associate Dean of Information Technology
South Plains College
Levelland, TX 79336

Problem replying to my email?  Click the "Sign" button in the OE toolbar or,
better yet, get your own FREE Personal E-Mail Digital ID:
http://www.thawte.com/email/index.html