[c-nsp] IPv6 subnets for point-to-point links

Yucel Guven yucel.guven at mail.emu.edu.tr
Tue May 10 10:48:48 EDT 2005

Crist,
Routers need to identify networks uniquely, e.g, if a router has 50 x p2p
subinterfaces, it must know into which subif the packet has to be forwarded.
For this purpose, netmasks are inevitable.
IPv6 doesn't need any broadcast mechanism, but we still need to identify
our subnets, uniquely.
Btw, I also used /126 for p2p links on GSR12000 (with T-series image) without any problem
-Yucel
"..and outside the bright lights, can't hide the pain inside..." S.O.C.