[c-nsp] Re: IPv6 subnets for point-to-point links

Joel Snyder Joel.Snyder at Opus1.COM
Tue May 10 13:51:53 EDT 2005

Although there is no longer any technical need for assigning IP
addresses to a P2P link, we always do it (where possible) for management
purposes.  Nowadays, more often than not, there is a NAT/NAPT function
in the box at the other end of the P2P link and/or some sort of
firewalling.  It's nice to have something known that the user does not
consider "theirs" that we can ping, SNMP, etc.

The nice thing is that newer versions of most code let you use a /31
instead of a /30, so you can get a big pile of P2P subnets out of your
average /24.

DSL with PPP, of course, breaks that paradigm, but we're less interested
in helping people manage their DSL links than we are with the T1 and
T3-sized pipes.

Having addressing on the P2P side also seems to help with things like
traceroutes; the numbers coming back are easier to assimilate and make
"more sense" to operations guys.

jms
--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Phone: +1 520 324 0494 (voice)  +1 520 324 0495 (FAX)