[c-nsp] Etherchannel & 7507/5500 combo

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Tue May 10 19:47:14 EDT 2005

* jsaker at americanrelay.com (James Saker) [Tue 10 May 2005, 19:22 CEST]:
>Seems like I'm missing something simple on my Etherchannel implementation
>between a 7507 and a Catalyst 5500. I've worked thru the Cisco LAN Switching
>section on Etherchannel and various cisco.com documents and configurations,
>but appear to be overlooking something.
[..]
>set port channel 4/1 mode on
>set port channel 4/2 mode desirable silent

"mode desirable" expects PAgP negotiation; set that also to "on" to
force it to participate in the bundle as long as it has link.

Note that a strict reading of IEEE 802.3ad disallows putting links with
different media types in an aggregated link.  So far I haven't found
anybody who cares, though it's probably best to not let the latency
differ too much between two ports in practice.

	-- Niels.