[c-nsp] Inverse multiplexing of ATM (IMA)

Richmond, Jeff (ELI) jeff_richmond at eli.net
Thu May 12 13:21:47 EDT 2005

MLFR is definitely the way you want to go, as long as your equipment supports it. IMA has been around forever, but you pay the ATM cell tax, which is never fun. There is also IMA overhead for the ICP cells, but depending on your frame rate, it usually isn't too bad (less than 1% for 128, and up to 3.2% for 32. This is basically how often you send ICP cells, the shorter the number, the faster the convergence, but at the expense of the additional overhead). I am sure MLFR works the same way, but our current equipment doesn't support it, so I haven't played with it (yet)...

Good luck,
-Jeff