[c-nsp] no packet loss until BGP is brought up?!?

Dennis Nugent dennis at wcix.net
Thu May 12 21:42:38 EDT 2005

Greetings

  An existing client just changed their equipment to a Diamond msm3
We have a Cisco 6503 with a Supe2msfc2
Cat5 cross-connect to them for about a year with no issues with their old
router.  When we do extended pings to the new  interface, there is no
packet loss.
As soon as he brings up BGP, we get 17 - 25% packet loss.  Turn off BGP,
and packet loss goes back to 0.
He has changed interfaces, etc.  When his BGP is up, there is no issue with
CPU or memory in his Diamond.

He is also doing BGP with other upstreams, and states that he is not seeing
any packet loss to the other upstream providers.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?  Besides the obvious, any
recommendations?

TIA

Dennis

Dennis Nugent