[c-nsp] Queueing strategy

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Fri May 13 07:02:58 EDT 2005

On Friday 13 May 2005 12:33, Gangasagar Amula wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> What is fair-queue.....

Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ) is a type of WAN queuing
strategy. Other types exist, e.g., FIFO (First In First
Out), Priority Queuing and Custom Queuing; all depend on
the desired application/goal.

> How it benefits the network performance....

(Please excuse the pedantry) WFQ'ing allows interactive
traffic such as Telnet to have network priority over
other more *hungry* protocols such as FTP.

When using this queuing strategy, traffic is sorted
through the use of high and low volume conversations.
Traffic within a session/conversation is kept within
that session, records of which are handled on a FIFO
basis within a particular session.

Typically, low volume traffic is given the first
priority.

The required bandwidth that is configured is given to
interactive traffic. High volume sessions will, then,
equally share whatever bandwidth is left over.

By default, WFQ is enabled on all interfaces that will
carry less than 2Mbps (you will notice a fresh boot of
IOS will have it configured under your average WAN
interface). It is assumed interfaces that can carry
larger bandwidth capacities do not require WFQ.

> Because....in current secenario....our data links are
> highly utilised...

You need to identify first what prioritization patterns
you are trying to achieve? Perhaps another queuing
strategy might be more appropriate - it requires careful
design and deployment, as each situation is unique.

Mark.