[c-nsp] SAA (RTR) Reaction Configuration - SNMP TRAP

William Chu william_w_chu at hotmail.com
Sun May 15 18:25:31 EDT 2005

Hi:

It may be off-topic, but I have a question on SAA (RTR) Reaction
Configuration and hope someone can help me on this.

Does the RTR reaction configuration command "threshold-action consecutive"
support ICMP ECHO operation?

I know it works on jitter operation, but not sure if it supports a simle
echo (icmp) operation.

What I want to achieve is to setup a SAA ICMP ECHO probe on a local router
to ping a far end IP device over the WAN. I want the SAA ECHO probe to
generate and send a SNMP trap to a local NMS station when 10 consecutive
ping packets have failed the operation. I have the following configuration
in the router but it appears that the "threshold-action consecutive" command
does not support the ECHO operation; and after the first missed ping packet
the router then generated a SNMP trap immediately. This is undesirable
because as you all know it is not uncommon to have the first ping packet
fail the test.

!
rtr 100
type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 10.101.18.170 source-ipaddr 10.100.8.129
request-data-size 100
timeout 3000
frequency 10
rtr reaction-configuration 100 timeout-enable threshold-type consecutive 10
action-type trapOnly
rtr schedule 100 life forever start-time now
!

I would appreciate if anyone has a suggestion or workaround to this problem.

The IOS I am using is 12.3.12b IP PLUS.

Thanks,

William Chu