[c-nsp] DS-3 -> OC-3 upgrade

Rick Ernst ernst at easystreet.com
Mon May 16 16:37:47 EDT 2005

It's almost all interrupt.

On Mon, 16 May 2005, David Freedman wrote:

:>Just out of interest, is that 40% of CPU down to Interrupts,
:>or 40% of *TOTAL* CPU ?
:>
:>If the latter, it may be that your box is being occupied by other tasks,
:>such as a continual routing protocol reconvergence.
:>
:>Dave.
:>
:>Rick Ernst wrote:
:>>
:>> I'm currently looking at upgrading our border routers from DS-3 to
:>> 100Mbs/Ethernet or OC-3.  The routers are 7206VXRs with NPE-300/256MB. They
:>> are each accepting full tables and are RR-clients for the core.
:>>
:>> I've noticed with the DS-3s that CPU utilization is roughly 40% at 40Mbs of
:>> in/out traffic (80Mbs aggregate).  I've also seen that over 40% that
:>> latency increases through the router.  There is a small ACL (about 30
:>> entries), plus RPF checks on inbound traffic.
:>>
:>> Based upon this empirical evidence, I'm hesitant to go OC-3, or even 100Mbs
:>> through them.  Do my numbers seem way off, or am I missing something?
:>> Would upgrading to NPE-400 "surely be enough", or should I look at other
:>> ways of bringing in higher-speed links?
:>>
:>> Thanks,
:>> Rick
:>>