[c-nsp] Need some help: Cisco 2801 Router with G.703 and ADSL-Backup

Florian Taeger mail at konfu.de
Mon May 23 02:26:42 EDT 2005

Hello everyone,

I've got a Cisco 2801 Router with a VWIC-1MFT1E and a WIC-1ADSL-I-DG. I want
this Router to connect via G.703 Line to our Router and if this line fails, I
want the router to establish a dsl-link. Over this dsl-link, the router receivs
the same routed net as over the G.703 Line. Both, the serial-link and the
dsl-link are terminated on routers of mine.

The problem is: The G.703 Line (Serial 0/1/0:0) works fine. But if I pull the
plug of this line out of the router, the dsl-line does not establish the backup
link. The line itself works fine - I have tested it with another router. Can
anyone find the failure in the config listed below? And yes, I am sure, that I
need to use pap to authenticate with the dsl-gateway :)

If I want to connect to this router via telnet, I become the message "password
required, but not set". Why? I want the router to allow login for the user
listed in the "username <USER> password 7 <PASSWORD>" section.

Thank you for any help.

Best regards

Florian

-------snip-------snip-------snip-------snip-------snip-------
!
version 12.3
no parser cache
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime show-timezone
service timestamps log datetime msec localtime show-timezone
service password-encryption
!
hostname rt-dcffm
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
logging buffered 4096 notifications
enable secret 5 <ENABLE-SECRET>
!
username <USER> password 7 <PASSWORD>
clock timezone MEZ 2
no network-clock-participate wic 1
mmi polling-interval 60
no mmi auto-configure
no mmi pvc
mmi snmp-timeout 180
no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
no ip source-route
ip cef
!
!
!
!
no ip domain lookup
vpdn enable
!
vpdn-group pppoe
 request-dialin
  protocol pppoe
!
no ftp-server write-enable
!
!
!
controller E1 0/1/0
 channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31 speed 64
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
 description LAN-Link
 ip address 123.45.67.89 255.255.255.248
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
 no ip address
 shutdown
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 no cdp enable
!
interface Serial0/1/0:0
 description 2MBit WAN-Verbindung
 bandwidth 1984
 ip address 123.45.67.200 255.255.255.252
 no ip route-cache cef
 ip mroute-cache
 no cdp enable
!
interface ATM0/2/0
 no ip address
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
 dsl operating-mode auto
 pvc 1/32
  pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
 !
!
interface Dialer1
 ip address negotiated
 ip mtu 1456
 encapsulation ppp
 dialer pool 1
 dialer idle-timeout 30
 dialer persistent delay initial 10
 dialer persistent delay 10
 ppp authentication pap callin
 ppp pap sent-username <DSL-LOGIN-USER> password 7 <DSL-LOGIN-PASSWORD>
 ppp timeout idle 30
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/1/0:0