[c-nsp] Need some help: Cisco 2801 Router with G.703 and ADSL-Backup

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon May 23 15:31:54 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 08:26:42AM +0200, Florian Taeger wrote:
> The problem is: The G.703 Line (Serial 0/1/0:0) works fine. But if I pull the
> plug of this line out of the router, the dsl-line does not establish the backup
> link. The line itself works fine - I have tested it with another router. Can
> anyone find the failure in the config listed below? And yes, I am sure, that I
> need to use pap to authenticate with the dsl-gateway :)

1. you *want* "ip route-cache cef"  (but that's not the root cause)

2. unless this has changed recently, you need to tell the router what
   sort of packets are "interesting enough" to bring up a dialup line.

   Put "dialer-group 1" in the "interface Dialer...", and add
   "dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit"

> If I want to connect to this router via telnet, I become the message "password
> required, but not set". Why? I want the router to allow login for the user
> listed in the "username <USER> password 7 <PASSWORD>" section.

Put "login local" under "line vty 0 4".  If you don't have this (or
"aaa new-model" with the proper incantations) the router expects a
"password XYZ" under "line vty 0 4".

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de