[c-nsp] CEoIP without NM-CEM-4TE1?

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Tue May 24 09:16:14 EDT 2005

Re,

thanks for the answers so far.

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 12:14:03PM -0700, dave o'leary wrote:

> I'm not an expert on the cisco product line any more, but I have
> checked into this area quite a bit.  I think that the NM-CEM-4TE1
> is the only product in the cisco product line that does this function.

So I've not missed the wood for the trees, at least.

> There are a variety of other companies that make these products:
>
> RAD
> Overture
> Acorn Packets
> Resolute Networks (formerly Redux)
>
> and others

Yep, I was actually pointed into the CEoIP direction by a product
offered by a PBX vendor. They use proprietary signaling and therefore
cannot be VoIP-trunked the simple way. The only solution that they
say to be compatible with is Drop&Insert, so CEoIP of fractional E1
is required.

But let's turn the question around by 180 degrees:

Is the NM-CEM-4TE1 able to provide *normal* E1 data service (in a
way similar to MFT VWICs or E1 multichannel PAs)? Or is it exclusively
for ingress/egress of T1/E1 lines that will get CEoIP treatment?

The rationale of this question is that I'll have to implement two E1
leased lines for IP (using MP and LFI) plus one trunk to the PBX, giving
a total of 3 E1s. If the NM can do both, it would not be badly oversized
for the application, I'd just whip the planned VWIC-2MFT-E1 out of the
config and go with just the NM. If this is impossible, I'll probably get
problems to do this with Cisco equipment. I expect to find an external
product that does this in fitting size for less than a list price of $4k.

TIA,
Andre.
--
                  The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-