[c-nsp] NAT and VRF's

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed May 25 12:00:08 EDT 2005

Geoffrey Cauchi <> wrote on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 5:38 PM:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to setup a router with vrf lite, where I have
> two interfaces, F0/0 and F0/1.
>
> Consider the following setup:
>
> int F0/0 is configured in a vrf named green
> int F0/1 is configured in a vrf named red
>
> int f0/0 has a private IP 172.18.0.0/24, while int f0/1 has
> a public ip 195.214.5.6/24, and I want to configure NAT.
>
> Routing between the two VRF's is working correctly, however
> NAT is not.  Does anyone know how this can be configured.

A config would help, but I guess you're using "regular vrf-aware NAT",
i.e. 12.3M or earlier or earlier 12.3T releases. This can only NAT
between global and VRF (and vice-versa), but not between two VRFs.
If you want to do this, you need the brand-new "NAT Virtual Interface"
feature
(http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newf
t/123t/123t_14/gtnatvi.htm). This gets rid of the traditional inside and
outside interface and will help in your specific environment..

hope it helps,

	oli