[c-nsp] 6500 SUP720 High Latency and Jitter issues

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Thu May 26 06:51:39 EDT 2005

Jared Mauch wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:26:54PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:

<snip>

> 	This is a seperate argument.  Knowing why a platform is doing something
> is in part knowing the equipment that you own/operate.  I can understand
> some of a learning curve if you acquired someone or got stuck with
> some hardware, or make some major changes to your network, but this
> is part of the cost of not knowing your hardware.

Or just open a TAC case and let them figure it out (for those of us not
as knowledge privileged). After all, they should know the platform.
Enough TAC cases and maybe we will see something...

Things change very often even in a specific platform. Additionaly, some
people would like to know these things BEFORE commiting their network to
certain equipment, not to mention the professional time and effort
towards "knowing the platform".

> 	Perhaps if vendors are not properly documenting this,
> a forum can be created that provides accurate matrix of features
> instead of the 'marketing' data that is always touted..
> A router that can do 10G Full duplex (20G) is different than a router that
> can do 10G aggregate.  Accurate feature data, including configlets
> may be the solution.  If vendors don't do it, we can do it without them
> and that will end up being the honest pressure to get them to document
> "unicast-rpf is done in sw on platform X, Y, Z due to limits in the EARL7"
> (the above is just a random example, not something that necessarily reflects
> facts).
>
> 	- Jared

Its been said before that cisco needs to do a major overhaul on their
information resource lookup systems so that people can easily answer
these questions for ALL hardware and software combinations (quite a
large possibility set).

- Is this feature supported?
- If so, in which versions, feature sets?
- Whats its rated performance. HW or SW?

Where feature can be its cisco name or its IOS command or similar.

Something like:

Given software image name X, can Y command(s) work and how will it
impact performance?

In fact tie this into the software center, so that when downloading
software one can review their options.

Not like it is impossible to obtain at least some of the information in
  the current system, but it is large unweildy and quite slow. Not to
mention somewhat incomplete.

Personally I like to screen scrape the full feature list for target
platforms&sw combinations and then run diff on it.