[c-nsp] Basic Query: Switches

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Fri May 27 10:31:16 EDT 2005

Hi,

On 28/05/2005 1:59 a.m., Kristofer Sigurdsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 13:14 +0000, Gangasagar Amula wrote:
>

>>Dear All,
>>
>>What is difference between WS-C3550-12G and WS-C3550-12T.....
>>
>>We are planning to purchase 12 port gigabit cisco manageable switch.....For which switch we shld go for ?
>

> The 12G has 10 GBIC interfaces and 2 10/100/1000 RJ-45 ports, the 12T
> has it the other way around, 10 x 10/100/1000 RJ-45 and 2 GBIC ports.
>
> The 3550 is rather old and will be (has been?) replaced by the 3750.
> You can still get a 3550, but I think it will go to end of sale in the
> next few months, which means it won't be supported much longer (maybe a
> couple of years?).
>
> If you're just looking for a L2 gigabit on copper  switch, you might
> want to consider the 2970 series, which are a much newer design.  If you
> are looking at the 3550 for it's L3 capabilities or L2 gigabit switching
> on fibre, I'd go for the 3750 instead.  The 3750 still has a rather
> hefty price tag, though.

Absolutely.  It's either a new car this year, or a new 3750 ;-)

(Now, to the original poster)

A simple search on the front page of www.cisco.com for 'WS-3550-12T
WS-3550-12G' turns up lots of information, such as a link to
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_qanda_item09186a00800913d3.shtml
which explains the different models.  You don't need a CCO login to do this
search and find this information.

I would suggest that you do not base expensive purchasing decisions on what
you hear from generic questions and answers on a public mailing list.  If you
are not familiar with the different models and capabilities, you may be better
to seek out someone who can guide you, and who knows _both_ the products _and_
your working environment.  The outcome will be better for you if you don't
over or under purchase what you need.  You don't have a lot of comeback if you
purchase something based on someones comment on a mailing list and it turns
out to be not quite what you wanted!

In regards to the 3550:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/prod_eol_notice0900aecd8029f777.html

"The last day to order Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series switches is May 2, 2006.
Customers with active service contracts will continue to receive support from
the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) until May 2, 2011."

So timewise there's a bit of life in the 3550 series yet.  But if it was me I
too would be trying to move towards a 3750 if at all possible...

reuben