[c-nsp] Rebooting PIX

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue May 31 01:11:30 EDT 2005

We have a customer with a pix 506 that every once in a while it
freezes up.  power cycling it makes it run again.  I am positive
the problem is bad power.  They had a previous PIX in there that
one day the power supply up and died.  Techs that go out there
claim the power supply is hot to the touch.  Of course the customer
is unconvinced since no other network gear has problems.

We have another customer with a network of 50 of these pixes and
I've never had a power supply die on any of them.

With pix 516 I would make sure your running latest firmware, and make
sure that you don't have a machine behind the pix that is infected
and spewing to every host on the Internet. A show xlate at the command
prompt should tell you this.

Ted