[c-nsp] ONS 15454 and GigE

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Nov 2 15:54:15 EST 2005

Some things to watch out for...

The ONS has two different speed cross connect cards (XT card). The
XT10G is a 10gig card with OC-192 core, OC-48 tributary and the XT,XT-
VT card is OC-48 core, OC-12 tributary.  If your ONS has the 2.5g XT
card you will be limited to 622mbps 'GigE'.

The ONS has a couple different GigE transport cards,  The E-Series is
crap, OC-12 backplane so even with a 10G xconnect card you are
limited to 622mbps. The MC-series is nice, can handle QinQ trunking,
it is basically a 3550 on an ONS blade. It is also insanely expensive.

An OC-48 (2.5gbps) is a waste for just a GigE, you can run 2 GigEs on
that if you handle it correctly.

Take a look at whiterock (www.whiterock.com) the VLX2006 is a nice
OC-48 SONET mux that can handle Ethernet mapping and regular DS-3 &
DS-1 trunks.

If you decide to run your own SONET muxes at both ends make sure your
provider maps the DCC channels through their SONET on the OC-48 so
both of your SONET muxes can see each other. The provider SONET ring
will be transparent to your own SONET ring.

Some other SONET muxes with GigE transport capabilities

Lucent DMX
Fujitsu
FutureWei/Huawei

Or, you could go with an OC-48 POS card in your router and get the
full 2.5gbps