[c-nsp] Ouput Drops - 6500...

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Nov 3 10:56:06 EST 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Church, Chuck wrote:

> Are the drops on a physical interface, or a VLAN int?  If you're trying
> to put all 700mbit/sec (which is an average) out on one physical
> interface, there a good chance there are frequent bursts above 700mbit,
> maybe even approaching the 1gig limit.  Those gig ports only have a
> small (~1 mbyte or so) buffer, so they don't queue stuff for too long.
> Those bursts are probably the cause.

I'm seeing similar output drops on 6509s (WS-X6348-RJ-45 FE ports), some
on interfaces that only do about 30-40mbit/s.  The drops show up on
physical interface counters, not on the vlan interface, though I don't
think the vlan interface has such a counter.  At least

#sh int vlan 1110 counters errors
Counters information is not available for Vlan1110

The worst one at the moment is an FE that gets up to around 60mbit/s
output.  It's got about 0.2% of its output packets being dropped.  Is this
a limitation caused by the small per-port buffers on older 6509 ethernet
blades?