[c-nsp] nagios monitor bgp peer pluggin?

Dan Martin dmartin at micromuse.com
Thu Nov 3 19:16:31 EST 2005

When you lose a bgp peer you'll get a trap and a syslog message.

The problem is that if you accept the defaults you'll get that trap and
syslog message around 4 minutes after the loss occurs.

I drove by a bgp fast peer setting or something or other that will let
you change that.

The routes will be updated the second the peer is gone but the peer
won't go away unless you change that default.

So if you had something that listened to bgp updates, like quagga or
zebra and were able to read its log file, and were able to make some
sense of the messages in the context of your network, you would be fine.

I think there is a certain amount of freeware out there that does that.

If you want to buy your way out of the problem that is another issue.