[c-nsp] Laptop USB-to-serial adapters - Break sequence?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Nov 4 08:54:27 EST 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Jay Hennigan wrote:

> Apparently the preferred method of dealing with this problem is the
> use ofa dongle that plugs into the laptop's USB port and provides a
> 9-pin serial plug.  There seem to be a plethora of these available
> at various prices.

I've been using a D-Link DSB-S25.  It's basically a 6ft USB cable with a
big male DB-25 at the other end (which holds the usb/serial converter
guts).  Linux sees it as a "Magic Control Technology USB-RS232 converter"
and it works for me under Centos 4.x (2.6 kernel).  I think it works with
older distros (2.4 kernels) but I can't remember for sure if I ever used
it that way.

Interestingly enough, I'd never tried sending a break with it...and just
found that minicom can't seem to do it.  The 1200bps space bar trick
worked though and can be done without exiting minicom.