[c-nsp] High Availability PoP Design

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Fri Nov 4 09:40:34 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 08:34 +1000, David J. Hughes wrote:
> Just a side note.  This issue isn't a problem if the routing devices
> are L3 switches (several ports in a vlan, SVI being the L3 target).
> Seeing as a 6503/Sup32 bundle is about 30% cheaper than a 7206/NPE-G1
> bundle I imagine we may see more people deploying devices like this at
> the border.  They are certainly better at handling DOS scenarios.
>
> I had a "handy sup comparison" chart bookmarked but can't find it right
> now.  I assume that the Sup32 can handle a full table?

According to the Feature Navigator, they haven't released IOS for Sup32
yet, but it is obviously planned.  I did, however, stumble across some
literature on CCO on configuring Sup32 in 7600 with IOS.

Yes, the Sup32 can (if it's running IOS) handle a full table, it's specs
say 256,000 routes...does that mean it can handle 256,000 actual routes
or 256,000 BGP table entries?

The Sup32 does indeed look pretty nice, supporting MPLS, 10GE and if
it's as affordable as a 7200/NPE-G1, it's a real option for a lot of
scenerios.  I'm assuming making it do POS over STM-1 would mean buying
FlexWAN, extra software licenses, etc., making it a lot more expensive
than a 7200 doing the same?

--
Kristófer Sigurðsson           Tel: +354 414 1600
Netrekstur/Network Operations  IP Fjarskipti ehf.