[c-nsp] High Availability PoP Design

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Nov 3 18:33:39 EST 2005

David J. Hughes wrote:

> Seeing as a 6503/Sup32 bundle is about 30% cheaper than a 7206/NPE-G1
> bundle I imagine we may see more people deploying devices like this at
> the border.  They are certainly better at handling DOS scenarios.

I agree, I guess the 7200 is just such a known quantity.

One thing I would say about the 6503/sup32 option though, is: shame
about the Netflow support if you're in certain parts (say, australia,
where volume charging is king!) of the world and only want to know about
traffic going in one direction through the box. (65xx IOS does not do
'per-interface' netflow... yet, though it may get there eventually my
understanding is it export filtering not TCAM population filtering).

Ian may correct me, but arguably the netflow TCAM size on a sup32 may
not be big enough for a busy border router if you want to get netflow
for all your traffic.

-andrew