[c-nsp] High Availability PoP Design

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Fri Nov 4 11:02:14 EST 2005

Do we have a 'native ios' vs 'ios' conversation block?

Internet
aivars at ml.lv
Sent by: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
04/11/2005 15:41
Please respond to
aivars at ml.lv

kristo
cc
Mark, cisco-nsp, bambi
Subject
Re[2]: [c-nsp] High Availability PoP Design

IOS for SUP32 is out and working. Have seen myself.

Aivars

KS> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 08:34 +1000, David J. Hughes wrote:
>> Just a side note.  This issue isn't a problem if the routing devices
>> are L3 switches (several ports in a vlan, SVI being the L3 target).
>> Seeing as a 6503/Sup32 bundle is about 30% cheaper than a 7206/NPE-G1
>> bundle I imagine we may see more people deploying devices like this at
>> the border.  They are certainly better at handling DOS scenarios.
>>
>> I had a "handy sup comparison" chart bookmarked but can't find it right
>> now.  I assume that the Sup32 can handle a full table?

KS> According to the Feature Navigator, they haven't released IOS for
Sup32
KS> yet, but it is obviously planned.  I did, however, stumble across some
KS> literature on CCO on configuring Sup32 in 7600 with IOS.

KS> Yes, the Sup32 can (if it's running IOS) handle a full table, it's
specs
KS> say 256,000 routes...does that mean it can handle 256,000 actual
routes
KS> or 256,000 BGP table entries?

KS> The Sup32 does indeed look pretty nice, supporting MPLS, 10GE and if
KS> it's as affordable as a 7200/NPE-G1, it's a real option for a lot of
KS> scenerios.  I'm assuming making it do POS over STM-1 would mean buying
KS> FlexWAN, extra software licenses, etc., making it a lot more expensive
KS> than a 7200 doing the same?

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority