[c-nsp] MWAM module on 6500/7600

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Tue Nov 8 12:33:39 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 12:22 -0500, Rodney Dunn wrote:
> I fail to follow your summarization argument because
> whether they are in the chassis or one hop back as
> 7301's at the end of the day it's the same thing.
> Those CPU's on the MWAM still look like normal
> routing protocol neighbors off a VLAN. Or maybe
> it's just a scenario of routing the /32's I'm not following.
>
> What I mean was the 7301's would replace the MWAM and the
> chassis would still frontend it. Your performance would

Yeah, I probably didn't make myself clear enough earlier, I was
referring to routing issues, but I didn't realize you meant for
the 7600 to front the aggregation farm.

> be better with the 7301's because you don't share the memory
> space. The MWAM is a G1 processor with both CPU's used and they
> share a common packet memory space.
>
> Not to mention the release schedule issues with the MWAM for
> no SSG bug fix type scenarios.

Good points - I wasn't aware of these issues - I have no practical
experience with the MWAM, just broadband aggregation using a number
of 7301's.

> As for cost I guess you can cut it up however you like.

Well, as I said in my earlier post "...if memory serves me right...",
I may be wrong about the price.

> The board was never designed or targeted for broadband support
> so use it at your own risk.

That's news to me - I'll make a note of that if I ever want to use it...

Thanks for the info.

-Kristofer