[c-nsp] E1's aggregated to STM-1 (Which Interface)

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Tue Nov 8 23:09:51 EST 2005

Mounir Mohamed wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I need advise with the following case,
>
> Now i have 16 PE (7304) in different places each PE have 2 E1's and
> the Data Carrier will aggregate all this E1's to give me 2 STM-1's in
> the Core routers so my question about which interfaces  could I use to
> terminate this STM-1's on my routers also is that is right I mean is
> there is interface can terminate STM-1 and chanlizing it to different
> E'1s with the logical configurations, what  is the encapsolation that
> can  i use under this interface?
>
> NOTE the core router's is double 7609
> Kindly advise

Greetings, Mounir.  I don't know if you got an answer on the -nas list,
but I didn't see one here on -nsp.

You're looking for the: PA-MC-STM-1 port adapter.  You'll be needing a
FlexWAN (or preferably enhanced FlexWAN) card in your 7600 to attach to
the PA.  You can have up to 256 channel groups, which can go down to the
DS1 level.  Neat.  That should allow you to do 512kbit/sec channels for
all the E1s in an STM-1.

Now, we don't use the PA-MC-STM-1 on our 7600s, we use it on 7206
w/NPE-G1's, so I can't tell you about the software requirements on your
Supervisor.  Quick performance notes from here: an NPE-G1 passing
full-rate minimum size packets to/from 32 (2mbit/sec) channels uses up
most all of the CPU.

We use it for the same application you mention, to connect (customer)
E1s from our carrier via an aggregated line.  It works for us.  It has
APS and G.704/706/707 compliant for faults/alarms, at least when used on
suitable software versions on the 7200.  The "APS" like functionality
uses heartbeats over the network, so in theory you can use it between
cards on different boxes (pre-provision groups and interfaces on both
boxes), though we didn't test it that way.  The documentation on that
feature could do with a case scenario.

More info at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_data_sheet09186a008007d6c0.html

Cheers,