[c-nsp] PIX, PAT and SSH - not working

Peder at NetworkOblivion peder at networkoblivion.com
Fri Nov 18 09:06:03 EST 2005

Do a "show timeout".  My guess is that maybe your timeout is set really
low and the server you are connecting to is doing an IDENT query (which
is blocked by the PIX) and then the connection times out before the
server is finally ready.

Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> I'm not sure if this is a Pix issue or not, but it's the one device common
> to all clients.  In short, ssh connections initiated from behind the
> firewall to hosts outside the firewall all have the same behavior; the
> hostname is entered and the client starts, there is an unusually long pause,
> then the username prompt is presented, then nothing. Finally, after some
> time the connection times out and the client closes.  This has been
> replicated using 3 different clients on 3 different OS's (2 Windows, 1
> Unix).  All other transmission types (http, telnet, smtp, ssl, etc.) work
> with no trouble.  Finally, there are no errors or deny hits in the logs and
> we're running 6.3.5.
>
> Has anyone ever seen this? I am completely stumped.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

Network stuff you didn't know....
http://www.networkoblivion.com