[c-nsp] MLPPP and ip load-sharing per-packet

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Nov 21 14:19:27 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> If a packet comes in MPLS (with tags) and there is a label
> to be swapped out another interface you can not reroute that
> packet based on IP. It's being MPLS switched.
>
> You would have to prevent the upstream from sending an MPLS
> packet but rather have it send it IP so the IP features
> on the downstream router work on the packet.

That was basically what I found in my testing.  The trouble was, back when
we started doing MPLS VPNs based on some of the sample configs on CIO, as
I was turning on tag-switching on a large portion of our network, I was
automatically enabling TDP, which by default tags all exported routes, so
most of the traffic on most of our network has been tag-switched.  I think
I was able to limit tagging to just the MPLS VPN traffic at the two POPs
where I was wanting to do some policy routing or local static route
rerouting, and got things working.

I haven't decided yet whether its worth going through all our routers
doing tag-switching and using the advertise-tags for settings to limit
them to tagging just their MPLS VPN traffic.