[c-nsp] "Packets dropped to the next slow path"

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Nov 22 08:56:56 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 12:19:18PM +0100, Vincent De Keyzer wrote:
> Right Rodney, that's exactly what we are doing (and BTW, how to configure
> this was explained to me two years ago on this excellent list).
>
> So basically, my problem is that CEF does not support PPP half-bridging, so
> if I want to offer VoIP to this customer, I have two options:
> 1. move him to a router where CPU usage is not subject to peaks (which is
> what I did temporarily)

I wouldn't want to be relying on process switching to service delay/jitter
sensitive traffic. Process scheduling will become an issue to service the
packets.

s> 2. install an E1 router (instead of a bridge) at customer premises, and do
> plain PPP

Yeah. That's the best option is to route out to the customer side.

> Please confirm my understanding...
>
> Vincent
>
> PS: "sh int stat" indeed shows that traffic is switched by the processor
> mostly (why not completely? Seems like 0.2% of the packets do find their way
> via CEF, weird!)

I've never messed with it. I might try to set it up in the lab for another
issue I was looking at with it but I'm really backed up right now so it
may be a bit.