[c-nsp] Request for Comment - 65xx Sup 1a vs. Sup 2/MFC2/PFC2

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Tue Nov 22 11:34:05 EST 2005

Hello All:

We have the opportunity to pick up a few 6500 chassis with one or the other
of the above, but at significantly different costs.  We are planning on
using the switches as aggregation Layer 2 devices only, with no need for any
Layer 3 services, COS, etc.  We will need to ISL and 802.1Q trunking on a
per-port basis and are looking at populating the chassis with 8-port MMF
gigabit cards.

Is there any significant disadvantage to selecting the 1a, given the +/- 9k
difference in price?  If anyone has any horror stories or great praise for
the Sup1a I'd love to hear about it.

Thank You,

Mike