[c-nsp] Request for Comment - 65xx Sup 1a vs. Sup 2/MFC2/PFC2

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Nov 22 12:05:01 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:

> Is there any significant disadvantage to selecting the 1a, given the +/- 9k
> difference in price?  If anyone has any horror stories or great praise for
> the Sup1a I'd love to hear about it.

The Sup1A in a 6500 does layer 2 just fine.  If you're looking at moving a
lot of traffic through the switch, or want to do layer 3 at some point,
then you should consider the Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2.

I think (and I may be wrong) that you need the MSFC in a Sup1A in order to
run native IOS.  Any CatOS->IOS migrations I've done in the past were on
MSFC equipped Supervisors.

If you're concerned about support, also consider that Cisco EOS'd the
Sup1A earlier this year, with the end of software maintenance and routine
failure analysis scheduled for 03/25/2006, so as time goes on, your
options for code upgrades will get more limited.  TAC support is available
until 03/25/2010.

Cisco EOS/EOL announcement here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_eol_notice0900aecd8017a5d1.html

jms